Thursday, April 13, 2006

Outdoor Theatre Likes Me

This week was the week of impromptu auditions. Bambi is still rolling but I was thinking ahead to the summer. So Monday...
While the cast of Bambi was rehearsing downstairs, the musical Heidi was having callbacks. I thought, what the hell, let's audition for something just to practice auditioning. I popped in and read a small scene for the character of Eric. We read the same scene 3 or 4 times so the director could see different actors for the leads. As I was about to leave, the director (who could be described as kooky) asked me to read with one of the potential Heidis. I said....sure, why not. The end of the scene called for a solo song by Eric. I thought, we don't have a piano, I don't know the song, we'll stop the scene right before the song. But she said, try the song, speak sing, see what I can do with it. I said....sure, why not. I played with it, through some notes into the words. I have no idea what the song should sound like. Then I was about to leave but she asked if I would stay in the room while the little girl had her vocal audition. I said no problem. By the way, the little girl (who was about 9) was awesome, ridiculous pipes. Then the director said, Nate, do you have a song to sing? I said....uh....sure, why not. I sang a couple lines of a ballad I used in the past. She asked me for something up-tempo. I said....uh....um....sure, why not. My mind raced in unpreparedness for something up-tempo, without bad language (because of the nine year old in the room), and that I could remember. And my mind was a blank. The director asked what I'd been in and we picked a couple numbers from Charlie Brown. I haven't sang those songs in a couple years. Yeah, two more songs, only a couple lines. Not a big deal. I thought I was done but the director told me to go outside and learn the dance audition. I said....sure, why not. So after 2 hours of what was supposed to be a Bambi rehearsal, I was done auditioning for Heidi.
I was cast as Eric.
2 songs, fun character, 12 shows. She described me as "most fun".
So Tuesday...
While the cast of Bambi was rehearsing downstairs, Moby Dick: Rehearsed was having callbacks upstairs. This time I thought, lets get in this show. So I popped upstairs and asked if I could read for the director. He said word. Actually he just said, ok. I read for three characters: Ishmael, Stubb, and Elijah. I had fun. Played with accents, joked around with the other actors. I did two scenes and one monologue. Much less demanding than the previous night. I walked away feeling great about it and I made it to rehearsal on time.
I was cast as The Cynical Actor/Flask/Daggoo/Sailor.
Accents, swash-buckling, 10 shows. No notes about my audition but my roles were called an "assignment".
Theatre-Hikes is lovin' Nate this summer. Unfortunately, I can't do both shows. I've gotta make the call, deal-or-.... actually more like Switzerland or a big ass whale.

More to come mah babies...

nate

3 comments:

Rachel said...

sooooo much outdoor theatre! you are gonna be so tan from all that outdoor performing! oh deer.

Rachel said...

oh yeah, and congrats, that is AWESOME!

Movie Maven said...

well played, sir. so much hiking/acting!!